SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#445414 - 01/26/18 08:10 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Think INTERNET. The fact that you can download for FREE almost any song produced since 1920, is a testament to the 'value' of music these days. It's TECHNOLOGY that has devalued music, not a handful of guys playing gratis. In a sense, Arrangers could be included in this 'devaluing'. The fact that 1 person can accomplish (however poorly) what used to take 5-9 people (thereby reducing the cost of providing 'live' music) is a classic example of devaluing music/entertainment. AND....it's a two-edged sword. Individual OMB's may make a few bucks more but musicians in general, make a lot less (and work much less frequently).

If we're being completely honest (few people are), very few semi-pro week-end warriors even break even with their musical endeavors, and if not for supplemental income from their 'real' jobs, would be homeless, divorced, and living off the edible parts of their instruments (wood has lots of fiber smile ). Let's face it, unless you are a highly trained professional and/or associated with a 'name' act, your chances of making a decent living is minuscule. JMO.

chas

#445415 - 01/26/18 08:12 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Not to drag this on but you won't believe the request I got last night. I've done a few freebies for my communitie's social gatherings. Played and DJ'd for a "girls night out party" at the pool and just DJ'd some summer songs for the summer cookout and put on some backround music for the community Thanksgiving get together. I also did an impromptu Hurricane Party cookout in my driveway with the nearby neighbors and did all Storm related Songs.
Well, I'm cursed with this talent, LOL! They like me so much they requested I do all their monthly events this coming year. Yes, part of it is the free factor but they all said they never had such a good time especially at the "girls night" It did turn out to be a fun night. I had them up on the floor so much they were running over to the pool to soak their feet.
I answered back that I would be glad to help out but we need to sit down and talk it over.
No good deed goes unpunished.

#445417 - 01/26/18 08:28 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Are there doctors, lawyers, plumbers, yard maintenance guys, nurses, restaurant owners, etc. in the group you're playing for? Tell them you will be happy to provide the music, if they assure you that you can call on them for free service when you need it! smile

#445419 - 01/26/18 08:42 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

My community fairly upscale and is mixed with lots of professional retirees and younger families. Unfortunatly the entertainment Committee is give a very small budget so there's no way they could pay. Lots of them are my friends here so I don't want to seem greedy. My wife say just do it for fun but then I tell her to me its a matter of respect AND I'd like to buy a new easy to set up sound system so who pays for that ?
And the old argument "oh he's just playing music" as though its not a real job. As Capt. Russ said. It has no value.
I think when I sit down with them and tell them I can't do them all they'll realize you can't always get something for nothing.

#445420 - 01/26/18 08:44 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: DonM]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Don,
Loved your quote below. clap

Originally Posted By DonM
Are there doctors, lawyers, plumbers, yard maintenance guys, nurses, restaurant owners, etc. in the group you're playing for? Tell them you will be happy to provide the music, if they assure you that you can call on them for free service when you need it! smile

#445432 - 01/26/18 11:15 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Rfinnshw]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Tell them "Sure as long as the caterers, bartenders, waitresses and venue are also donating their services.

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/26/18 11:16 AM)

#445440 - 01/26/18 12:50 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Jerryghr]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr
Tell them "Sure as long as the caterers, bartenders, waitresses and venue are also donating their services.

Jerryghr

Theses are all within the community events. Low budget, BYOB, donated appitizers and desserts, etc. Just get togethers for the community members.

#445441 - 01/26/18 12:55 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

If we're being completely honest (few people are), very few semi-pro week-end warriors even break even with their musical endeavors, and if not for supplemental income from their 'real' jobs, would be homeless, divorced, and living off the edible parts of their instruments (wood has lots of fiber smile ). Let's face it, unless you are a highly trained professional and/or associated with a 'name' act, your chances of making a decent living is minuscule. JMO.

chas[/quote]
You got that right. !!
I used to do very well back in the day. Played part time and paid for new equipment and had a lot of fun with the extra money. My real job as a teacher paid the bills.

#445446 - 01/26/18 01:48 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right. Playing live-4 night is a wash...$150.00. My serious income comes from production of business related, broadcast quality video. My advantage is the quality of the tracks. Even the higher paying live jobs are business related...a reception for a foreign dignitary....the president of a foreign firm I do work for, etc.

If I did music only, I'd probably not have a weight issue, I'd be starving to death.

What I try to tell everyone is that there is a lot of work today, it's just drastically different from the past. Literally every YouTube posting, TV show and radio broadcast has an audio track.

And that's good for some of us...really good!

Russ

#445450 - 01/26/18 02:11 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am sure that is true, but there are few Captain Russ around.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online